Tuesday 15 May 2012

Black and White Animals

©

Black and White Animals, 37 x 27 cm, Gouache on Paper.

One day whilst cleaning dishes with my friend Georgia Cass, I commented on how I liked her t shirt with a big Panda on it.  We then proceeded to play a game naming as many black and white animals as we could.  We were surprised at how many there are.
It got me thinking about Taxonomy- the science of identifying and naming species, and arranging them into a classification.  Why not create a visual taxonomy.  So here we have animals from all different classes, birds, mammals, fish, amphibians, insects etc. but ones that all share the same colouration.  They could be subdivided further into groups with the same pattern:  the snow leopard and the gecko could go into a spots family; the Zebra, snake, snail , frog and the damsel fish go into the stripy family etc.
I might paint orange animals next.

No comments: